Wednesday 22 July 2015

Re-post for 'Buried Treasure - Seth Apter'




Hi everyone, typical that my first post in ages is a re-blog! There is a reason though: I am participating in Seth Apter's 'Buried Treasure' collaboration. The Altered Page is hosting this and I think it's a great way of finding new blogs that might not normally get exposure to a larger audience, will be posting again soon, have lots of new work to show :) cheers!

Mr Owl Work in Progress and some random thoughts



On the weekend I had to wait at my daughters Uni while she did an exam so I thought I might as well take advantage of some quiet time and do some drawing. I had already put in the pencil outline and inked some of his face on this one so I spent what could have been a boring 3 1/2 hours in the canteen into something constructive. Of course the time flew by and I didn't finish inking him, but...almost. While I was scribbling away it occurred to me how the different mediums I work in affect me differently. For instance, if I am doing a big mixed media painting, it kind of feels like I'm having a bit of a party, it's fast and energetic and I am moving around a lot, and afterwards there is a huge mess to clean up...and I get tired after about 2 hours and really need a break. If I'm painting with pastels, it's like having a coffee with an old friend, you don't have to have an in depth conversation, but you can still say a lot in a short amount of time, and when you're finished you wish it went longer. When I'm drawing, it's just me and a pencil or pen and it's like meditation, the whole world disappears around me and I'm absorbed by the process, when I look up, hours can have passed and it feels like nothing. So there you go, more ramblings...cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment