Friday 25 December 2015

7 days to go - Vicky Christensen and a concept drawing

Vicky Christensen        
The Poet's Garden





Hi  all :) I don't  know if you remember the painting I finished recently, but the drawing above is the concept piece that I started with. Lately I have enjoyed doing resolved drawings to get the design of some of my pieces right before I get to the canvas.
Now down to the important stuff! Today's inspiring artist is Vicky Christensen. I think she's awesome! Her blog I'm Learning to Paint always has a new interesting chapter. Vicky loves to experiment with stencils, collage and colour and she isn't afraid to paint over something that didn't work. I love her fresh, vibrant colours and patterns and it's obvious that she embraces a real sense of 'what's next' when she paints. Vicky is an active blogger and I never have to wait long for the next installment, Thanks Vicky!

Ok, something I learned this year. This isn't always possible, but when the budget allows...if you find something new at the art shop, give it a go. This is the main way I have found many of the products that have become an integral part of my practice. This is not such a difficult thing for me as I live in the most isolated capital city in the world, which means I can drool all I like over products I see online, but they hardly ever make it into the local shops! Also, this doesn't mean that if a huge and magnificent studio easel turns up at Jackson's I can take it home...obviously there needs to be ground rules :)

Last but not least, a product that I can't live without. For me, as I have focused a lot more on drawing on paper this year, there have been a few products that I hadn't tried. This is going to sound really basic and boring, but when I drew in the past it was just a 2b, 4b and a plastic rubber. I always knew paper stumps existed but because I was sick of seeing them over used with pastel, I gave them a wide berth. I had no idea how fantastic they were for use with graphite and charcoal. They have really changed the way I look at drawing now. Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees :) Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment