Tuesday 19 March 2013

More of the old stuff



These are three older pieces, its funny how each piece reminds me of some part of my progress and I guess thats why I prefer them to some of my other pieces. Even though they don't necessarily represent pieces that I sold or won a prize with they have significance in other ways (ok I did sell the one on the left but I didn't really want to!). The painting on the left taught me the 'power of the pathway'...that is using a composition containing a pathway, road etc and how it involves the viewer personally as they join you in a journey along the path. The middle painting is a small piece I painted for my Aunty who always encouraged me in my artistic pursuits...it was the first painting I did after I purchased an entire set of Mount Vision pastels, the best money I ever spent! The third is the first piece I ever tried a wet underpainting on and gave myself up to the 'serendipity' as Richard McKinley says...sometimes I forget that lovely loose feeling and have to remind myself to let go and let the painting tell me what to do :)

4 comments:

  1. Lovely! As a fellow Aussie, do you mind me asking where you found such gorgeous landscapes to paint? They look familiar, but I can't quite place them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate, thanks for looking :-) I live in the rural fringe of Perth, in the Southern foothills. We are so fortunate to have a bush block so there are endless opportunites for inspiration. In my next post I will share some local photos with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post with usefull information! I hope you write more on this subject! I must say, I thought this was a pretty interesting read when it comes to this topic. Liked the material. Boo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou Boo Dog, :) I am glad you liked this post, sometimes its good to look back to help you move forward, and also to remember to paint for yourself sometimes...

      Delete